Friday, January 19, 2007

When Sportswriting Goes Bad

It may surprise some readers, but when I'm not watching random horror movies, I sometimes take in an occasional sporting match. And like any other warm-blooded American male, I like to read about sports. For the last five or six years, Bill Simmons, ESPN's "The Sports Guy" had been one of my favorites. Well, my friends, that's all over.

In reality my interest began to wane maybe a year and a half ago, a year, something like that. Whatever, Simmons still wrote some stuff every once in a while that I could get behind and appreciate.

But this week, a week in which he put out two pretty sizable pieces, I've decided that I no longer like Bill Simmons, and won't be reading any of his future columns. To illustrate why this is the breaking point, I offer just a couple of organized, rational points:

1. Simmons writing, because it is so infrequent at this point and because he doesn't spend half as much time following sports as he claims to, has become less and less timely and more and more irrelevant. Case in point, his piece from Tues or Weds about the Suns. Seriously? This is a topic that has been written on ad nauseum at ESPN! Many, many, many blogs have talked about the Suns much more eloquently and more immediately, yet Simmons's writing about it as if he's breaking new ground.

2. In this same piece he makes CONSTANT references to the 80's Celtics and Lakers. You know what? I get it, those teams were good. But the last time I checked, that was 20 fucking years ago. Jesus Christ. I challenge someone to find a basketball column written by Simmons ever in which he doesn't mention one of those two teams (Bird's Celtics and Magic's Lakers). I fucking dare you, because I doubt it can be done.

3. Let's get down to the real meat and potatoes though, shant we? In his most recent piece, where he discusses the Patriots (really, that's weird, he never writes about them!), Simmons compares the Pats to the Yankees.

On the surface, this is a pretty crappy argument, or at least a very lazy argument, but it's in his reasoning that I really lose all respect for the man. Basically, he asserts that because the Patriots' story lines are so played out, non-fans are starting to hate them. (This is a drastic simplification, I know, but I couldn't even stand to finish the piece, so too bad).

Here's the problem, the number one offender in this regard, is the SAME FUCKING CORPORATION THAT SIGNS HIS FUCKING CHECKS! I mean, really, Bill, really? How in the name of god can he look in the mirror and take himself seriously at this point? I'm going to guess, by the headline of the article, and remember, I stopped about a third of the way in, that Bill wants to bitch about how "hate" became such a strong part of sports.

Now I come from Philadelphia, so that shit's built into us from day one, particularly for the Braves and the Cowboys. But I would argue, and it's not a hard argument to make, that ESPN is the single entity most responsible for generating hatred for x, y or z among fans. With their incessant idolization, and their sappy, poorly produced features and their idiotic, talking-head commentators, ESPN pushes tired story lines, 24 hours a day until the only emotion we can respond with is hate. There's just no other way. Well Bill, you're part of the fucking problem. So shut the fuck up.

4. Did I mention that the Sports Gal has an archives page now?! I didn't? Well, she does, in a sports column. Awesome huh? I wonder what quirky trend, already played out in the blogosphere, she's going to dazzle us with today!

5. Finally, some folks will argue, and it's a fair argument, that Bill Simmons laid the ground work for blogging, and a new kind of sports journalism, with his witty pop-culture references. You know what though, pop-culture isn't static, it moves. And while it has continued to move, and at a rapidly increasing rate, Simmons continues to reference the same TIRED ass movies, shows, bands, etc. He still talks about Pearl Jam. (Sorry, you might need Insider for that one, but trust me, Pearl Jam.) He made a reference to Godfather II today. Move the fuck on! And yes, I realize that sometimes he'll talk about new shows, like the Wire or Friday Night Lights. But it's usually just to mention that they're good or that folks should be watching them.

When he's actually writing, and leaning on these references, which is quite often, they're always from one of a handful of movies or shows that, for the most part, weren't all that great to begin with. The saddest part, at least from my perspective, is when he prints actual emails from "actual readers" and they reference the same shitty stuff. He's created a language around sports, that in my opinion anyway, is stupider and more simplistic than real sports dialogue can and should be.

I'll stop there, but believe me, I could go on. This is really all an offshoot of the whole "ESPN-has-ruined-sports" arguement that's been gaining some steam lately. The saddest part though, is that it wasn't all that long ago that Simmons was the freshest and strongest voice in sportswriting. Now, he's no better than any other bogus ESPN personality. Of course the only way things are going to change is if people stop visiting ESPN.com, and I just don't see that happening anytime soon. I can still hope though, and if that doesn't work, at least we'll always have Jason Whitlock.

15 comments:

Huguenot said...

It is too bad that this happened. I agree that he used to be a great read, some funny and fresh perspective on sports. Now it appears that he has a backlog of ideas and is punchin them out to meet deadlines. The only column that had any effort and even appeared fresh was the "We Had It", otherwise it looks as if he started a clomun 2-3 weeks before it gets posted (like the Suns one).

I bet having the kid and his whiny wife take up a lot of time, but his effort is lacklustre and degrades all the work he ut in to get there.

It gets even worse when he phones in those magazine articles every other wednesday.

Is ESPN losing significance? It appears to. There is a growing divide in sports fans:
1) The blogospshere, or sports fans that are educated and are objective about the spoon feeding stories rammed down our throats.
2)Meatheads that will believe any story from ESPN, SI, and disregard any news not posted there.

Group 1 seems to prsent a growing resentment to mainstream sports journalism as it the latter seems to be losing its integrity.

Group 2 seems to be made up of older people that have no idea what the eBay's (tired joke) are.

Sports are a lot of fun, and dissecting the events can make for some great discussion, but if you are a writer and you can't put in the effort to stay on top of your game (like an athelete), maybe it is time to move on?

Yes, this was a recommednation for Mr Simmons, but why would he, when he generates lots of hits for ESPN and is probably rolling in it.

It is sad to see an athlete past their prime and no longer relevant, but at least most atheletes will show their best effort...I am amazed that the Sports Guy would provide such a lacklustre performance, when the personi he idolizes the most, would never had considered not giving his best.

J. Schnaars said...

Thanks, Jon! I do my best. Next week be sure to read my 4000 words on why Simpsons is better than The Family Guy! I also have a piece on how some people don't like President Bush. Too soon?

BGN said...

I agree on Simmons. While it's true that the "Simmons Sucks now" thing is becoming obvious and played out... however it's still fun to read a well thought out and eloquent lambasting of the sports guy. I say great job.

Jason Marcuson said...

Don't forget how tired his hatred for the Colts is. (At least us Colts fans recognize this.)
He goes out of his way to belittle them, even though if it wasn't for the rivalry between our two teams, his Patriots wouldn't "be the Yankees." Right?
Yes, Bill, you hate the Colts. You are a bitter homer. We get it.

Purdue Matt said...

I used to love Bill Simmons' writing. But his constant ragging on the Colts and refusing to give them credit for anything, coupled with his constant slurping of the Patriots has turned me off for good.

The HCIC said...

Sure, the sentiment has been expressed before. But at this point, former Simmons lovers are like in a makeshift support group. If we grieve together, we can move on.

(When he started pulling double duty with Kimmel, that was the beginning of the end.)

Failgoat said...

His "Patriots Are the Yankees" column was positively repulsive. His basic thesis was: "A lot of people hate the Pats because they're successful like the Yankees, but you shouldn't, because there's a salary cap in football and because doggone it, isn't this a great story?"

The worst part was when he explained that Pats fans bear the scars of numerous playoff failures in years past, and therefore have "earned this."

Well, you know what? Every team in the league has endured some sort of heartbreak, and so every fan base in existence has "earned" a dynasty. Boston isn't special, Bill.

As I was telling my buddy Hench the other day, I'm a Jets fan--and if the Jets ever win the Super Bowl (stop laughing, it could happen), I seriously doubt Bill will devote 2,000 words to the ways in which Jets fans have "earned it."

Kiss my hairy white ass, Bill. You revolting homer.

Jonathan Costa said...

Everyone who rips Bill Simmons would trade places with him 0.3 seconds if given the chance.

What's happened with Bill is that he was on top for a while, and as with everyone that's been on top for a while, eventually people get sick of seeing said person on top and begin to rip them. It happens in music, movies, and most of all sports.

Here's a novel idea. If you no longer like Bill Simmons, stop fucking talking about him! Don't read him, don't make blog posts about him, don't even visit ESPN.com.

You know what you're getting with Simmons at this point. He has a formula and it works for him. People need to stop acting so fucking surprised at the things he writes about.

Joe said...

I agree that his content has gone downhill. It's not the same. Even in his occasional good article, the feel that the articles used to have isn't there anymore.

I admit that I still read his articles hoping for something good. It's kind of like watching SNL for the past 2-3 years. You used to love it and it's not the same anymore. But you keep coming back hoping it'll regain it's former glory. Does anyone else do this with Simmons' articles?

Alex said...

I agree that it's not as enjoyable to read Simmons as it used to be. I don't know what goes on at ESPN.com, but I can't help but wonder if his editors shouldn't be taking some of the blame for this. They shouldn't be letting him re-hash old topics and jokes which loyal readers find stale. They shouldn't keep assigning him tired column ideas which he can't possibly keep fresh anyway. (eg plenty more Mailbags replete with the phrase "and since I have nothing to add here." vs. no more "Curious Guy", book reviews, behind the bench, soccer columns, etc.)

J-Dog said...

Found your blog referenced here: http://espnbs.com/blog/

J. Schnaars said...

So obviously everyone who said this isn't news is right, Simmons' decline has been well documented, but I felt like the two articles that I mentioned here were particularly egregious examples and that's what drove me to the keyboard.

Anyway, I think Head Chick is right in that there's some good to be had in the collective moaning. And like Joe, I used to stop by and at least give every new piece a chance, but no more.

And that's where Jamie is hitting at some important stuff, because as I mentioned briefly, Simmons' dropoff is only part of the larger problem with ESPN. But that's a whole different post that I might get around to at some point.

I don't know if anyone else heard it, but on Mike and the Maddog's show yesterday (audio still available on their website), Simmons was actually made to answer for some of the criticisms that bloggers have been leveling at him and ESPN. He didn't really come to terms with it, which was sort of sad, but it's a decent interview nonetheless.

And just to respond to Jonathan, who said we'd all change places with BS in a second. Well no shit. He's probably making silly money (ESPN just gave Wilbon $2 mil/year, it's a safe bet that Simmons gets at least $1 mil from Disney). But that's no reason to let him off the hook. If anything, we should be holding him to a higher standard. I can't remember exactly how that saying goes, but it's something to the effect of "the ones that we love are the ones that can hurt us the worst.." You know what I'm saying. Well my point is that we loved BS, everyone loved him. But the writing just isn't the same. Maybe we changed too, but either way, it's that initial, freshly remembered reverence that makes the sting of mediocrity all that much more difficult to bear.

Kasko said...

www.sonsofthesportsguy.com

You'll fit right in, trust me.

sturmtrooper said...

Article title: January 19, 2007
When did hate take over sports?


Article title: November 3, 2006
I really hate the Colts.

Thewes said...

A-fucking-men. Sports Guy has driven us crazy for over a year. He's lost his fastball.

Hernia bashing Sports Guy

More Sports Guy bashing